A Banner Year for Giving at Fleet Feet
by Pete and Jeanne Snell
As most of you know, Fleet Feet Tucson is a locally owned business focused on helping our community. It has always been extremely important to us to give back to as many organizations as we possibly can. Over the past 12 years we have contributed money, time and products to hundreds of charitable efforts and will continue doing so going forward. But, we can honestly say that thanks to your continued support and loyalty of our business, 2015 was a banner year for our community giving programs.
As the year comes to an end, we want to highlight our efforts to bring more attention to the causes and organizations we support. With your continued patronage and loyality we can all give even more in 2016!
Fleet Feet Tucson launched two major initiatives in 2015:
This program is aimed at identifying adults and children in need of shoes, socks and other basic essentials. Through customer donations, generous vendor support--including a national grant from Balega--and our own inventory, Fleet Feet Tucson gave the following to adults and children in need in our community:
- 309 pairs of shoes
- 233 pairs of socks
- 17 sports bras
- 200+ other essential items
This program is a joint effort between Fleet Feet, Pima County Sheriff's Department and Pima County's Natural Resources Parks and Recreation to raise awareness for pedestrian and bicycle safety on Pima County's path systems. Through a generous donation from Mizuno of $2,500, Fleet Feet was able to provide:
- Over 300 water bottles,
- 300 Loop Safely information materials
- 100 safety whistles
- 250 Loop maps to users of the path
- 12 pedestrian/cyclist safety signs on the Loop
- Self-defense courses
Fleet Feet Tucson continues to support the following:
- Southern Arizona Roadrunners' Children's Fitness Fund, with a $500 donation to support children's running programs in Tucson
- Youth on Their Own, with over 1000 gently used customer-donated shoes channeled directly to the feet of our community's youth. We also collected food/hygiene/household items for YOTO.
- Ben's Bells, with cash donations from Spring Diva Brunch
- The Neighborhood Food Pantry, with food and cash donations from Fall Diva Night.
- Southern Arizona Children's Advocacy Center, with nearly $750 in cash donations from the Fleet Feet Club Santa Run. Our own Matt Tucker donated one of his amazing sketch prints, which fetched a sizeable amount of the donation through raffle tickets.
- Girls on the Run of Tucson, in partnership with individuals and organizations we provided much-needed footwear to over 40 participants.
- Numerous (too many to list) organizations, schools, charities and associations in Sothern Arizona with cash, product and time donations.
Thanks to the ongoing support and loyalty of our wonderful customers, Fleet Feet Tucson continues to serve our community as only a local business can: working directly with friends and neighbors to provide resources for those in need. Thank you so much for your continued support as we strive to make Tucson an even better place to live.
Happy New Year!
Pete and Jeanne Snell